Church and rectory of Saint-Joseph of Madawaska (am_148)



am_148a[1]

The construction of the first church of Saint-Joseph, which later served as the sacristy, was begun in 1919. This was the year the Bishop decided to unite the concessions of Saint-Jacques and Edmundston to form the mission of Saint-Joseph. It was served by Father Conway from Edmudston and his curates until 1924. This spacious church was built in 1924 on the site chosen by the people. Father Ernest Lang, who became the parish priest in 1927, finished the interior of the sacristy and improved the church. Photo taken around 1930.