Crockett Mill (am_2063)



am_2063a[1]

Located on the Levasseur brook and in line with Kennedy Island, three kilometres from Clair and upstream on the St. John River, the shingle saw mill belonging to Thomas Crockett was built around 1895. The wood came from the Crown land and was sold to individuals. Fifty men from the surrounding area worked there. The mill had to close its doors in 1910 and was demolished around 1912. According to Yves Lévesque from Rivière-du-Loup, this saw mill for wood and shingle built by Thomas Crockett around 1895 was demolished 17 years later. [...] Crockett who lived in Rivière-du-Loup (then called Fraserville) in the beginning of the 20th century, was manager of the Temiscouata Railroad and merchant of wood.” Photo around 1900. PC3-99, collection CDEM, ShM.