Replica of the first chapel of Saint-Basile (ph_3664)



ph_3664b[1]

Immediately upon arriving at Madawaska in 1785, the Acadian colonists who were now within the diocese of Quebec, asked the Bishop to give them a priest. In the summer of 1793, the Missionary Paquet blessed a chapel measuring 40 feet by 30 feet, made of squared timber and having a capacity of 300 persons. This replica of the chapel was built on the original site near the St. John River.